Digital Marketing has not developed with the same consistency as traditional marketing plans. The industry is heavily prone to disruptive products changing the usual life-cycle of products,
Agile Marketing works
Develop a digital marketing strategy is to act as an extension of the Agile or lean approach to product development. In other words, your online marketing plan can have a written form – and it really should! But it is better laid out as a number of small concepts and campaign ideas that can stand alone. The development of the strategy is then an iterative “reveal” of products and ideas, rather than an expensive punt on one big marketing bet.
Every Digital Marketing strategy needs some base components. They may vary from business to business but usually include:
- A website that can be continually modified by a non-technical team
- An understanding of Entity search and how your business will be defined within the Intenet’s Ecosystem. This idea is the modern equivalent of search engine optimisation and reflects the new way in which sites like Google, Facebook and Twitter are all relying increasingly on Entities to scale their businesses.
- The story that your business will portray to the world. Users buy from emotion, not reason. Everything you say about yourself online will influence what your audience thinks about your business. The underlying story also helps internally to motivate the team and to ensure everyone develops the business in the same direction, based on the same values and moral compass.
Rich digital asset base
Many businesses think that they only need a website and a means to promote it. In a modern internet, though, the best way to promote your brand is through creating a wide and varied set of digital assets, which will all contribute to the overall story you are hoping to portray to your audience. These include:
- A Video or Video channel. Youtube is free and can be optimised
- Rich imagery: On every blog post and on every social media profile
- Case studies available in PDFs
- Presentations that your business has done to demonstrate thought leadership
This is not an exhaustive list by any stretch of the imagination. As you go through the digital marketing content on Dixonjones.com you will get a sense of how far these different assets may take you.